We all know that once Labor Day is through, summer is through. No more white dresses for you! (Unless, of course, you can rock a white dress regardless of the season, which we’re sure you can do). With the new season comes a new series of shopping lists – and not just for pumpkins and herbal teas, but for transitional and fall pieces! So, let’s see: what are the essentials for fall 2012?
1. A classic trench coat. If you somehow managed to live your entire life without one, we salute you. A trench coat is a must in every woman’s wardrobe, a classic staple that never goes out of style. Excellent against the wind and (sometimes) against the rain, you’ll be able to wear it with pants and skirts just as comfortably. Our color of choice: any earth tone.
2. The ankle boot. In the transition between sandals and boots, ankle boots come to the rescue. Heeled versions are known for making your legs appear longer and a light color will have the same effect. You can also opt for a pop of color, which will brighten any outfit instantly.
3. The scarf. If you want to go through fall without catching a cold, then protect your neck! And while you’re at it, add a spark of style, too! Printed scarves are the way to go this fall, and we just love a touch of animal print in an outfit! Just as well, you can opt for neon polka dots, nautical stripes or muted colors – it’s all up to you.
4. Something burgundy. This is by far the color of the season. Other tones of red work, too, but burgundy stands out. Whether you pick a skirt, a top, boots or a bag, you surely need something in this color this season. Wear it with warm colors like orange and yellow for the proper fall look.
5. Colored denim. You wore it this summer and you’ll be glad to see that it’s here to stay. Colorful pants are an instant outfit booster, and they can easily be dressed up or down, according to the occasion. From neon colors to dark, sophisticated ones, all that matters is that your jeans are not denim blue (they can be electric blue, though)!